At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world works & we are looking for fantastic people to help us do that. Our mission is to simplify shift work, with a future state vision to enable thriving workplaces in every community.
Deputy is a SaaS Workforce Management Product company. HQ'd in Sydney (AU), with offices in London (UK), Atlanta and San Francisco (USA). We’ve helped hundreds of thousands of people across all industries in 70+ countries save time and money managing their hourly workforce so they can focus on what they do best, and be amazing.
Currently, our employees are predominately working from home and this role will also be remote for the time being. We anticipate employees will be returning to the office, in a flexible capacity, during 2021 as appropriate & when it is safe to do so.
About The Job
As a Corporate Platform Engineer on the Corporate Engineering team, you’ll spend your time focusing on building sustainable, elegant solutions to complex problems across the business. Our primary customers are Deputy employees, but we manage the tools, apps and systems that our teams use to get their work done as well as take care of our customers and build products. This role is global, and nearly every project you’ll work on will impact every Deputy employee. This is a “customer facing” role; while we are a remote-first company, you’ll be speaking with staff over #slack, email, tickets, video conferencing and more.
You’ll need to be flexible while we scale, and cover some Operations roles as well (about 25-50% of your time) but your primary focus will be building and managing our infrastructure. You’re a ‘jack of all trades’ and you’re comfortable with being an all-rounder with some specialities here. You’ll need to be flexible, so if you’re looking for a rigid role or structure, this might not be a great fit for you.
You should be comfortable scoping, sourcing and vetting solutions for complex problems, identify opportunities for improvements, remediate security issues, and you love to automate. You should be comfortable seeing a project through from beginning to end, operate autonomously or with little instruction when needed, and deliver on time, and on budget—but you’re not afraid to ask for help when you need it. You’re extremely trustworthy, and comfortable dealing with ambiguity, and making the right decision with little information, sometimes in different time zones to the rest of your team.
- You’re an experienced macOS fleet administrator (running a global fleet of over 250+ endpoints), and you’ve used SaaS-based MDM tools (that are NOT JAMF) to do so.
- You can automate or write scripts to perform tasks that aren’t out-of-the-box, including bash or shell scripts if you need to, and you understand the limitations of this.
- You have demonstrated experience with automation/orchestration tools such as BetterCloud or Okta Workflows.
- You are familiar with using APIs to perform actions in tools or applications, and are familiar with using tools such as BetterCloud, Google App Script, Google Cloud Product, or other means to accomplish things that “can’t be done” out of the box.
- Design, test, build, document and support tooling and automation in endpoint management of our Apple hardware fleet (MacOS, tvOS, iOS)
- Support, administer, and manage SaaS applications — think Dropbox, Google, Slack, 1Password, etc.
- Support, administer and manage Google Workspace (formerly GSuite) and related applications-- including knowledge of mail routing, email security and protocols, such as DKIM or DMARC, etc.
- Chrome and ChromeOS management and administration — some hardware and software, including policies for Managed Chrome in the enterprise.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and improve Identity Management and SSO tools (GSuite, Okta)-- including adding and migrating applications into SSO, with provisioning.
- Onboarding and offboarding Deputies (including troubleshooting issues with our automations related to this)
- Secure and remediate issues related to our infrastructure, endpoints or SaaS applications
- Demonstrated projects that span across multiple parts of the business, and an understanding of different tools in each team (i.e. go-to-market vs. engineering tools)
- Document your solutions clearly and accurately; you’ll constantly own, update and maintain that documentation, and you write in a clear, concise, easy to understand manner
- Manage, respond to, and fix critical incidents and issues as needed, through to completion
- Handle some on-call and after hours work (rarely, and only when necessary)
- Initially, you’ll be tier 1 support for staff within your time zone, and serve as an escalation/SME for issues for the team-- this won’t overwhelm your day or projects, but you will need to own this while the team scales up.
- Help grow and mentor a new team — be a part of the IT team you’ve always wanted to be in!
- You’re extremely empathetic, and you care deeply about the customer experience; IT isn’t a science, but you love making it seamless, and you’re service-oriented.
- 2+ years in an IT Operations, IT Engineering, Systems Engineer, Endpoint Management, or Platform Engineer role, with progressive experience — experience in a help desk is a plus.
- 2+ years working with endpoint/MDM management tools in an all Mac or 95%+ Mac enterprise environment.
- 2+ years of GSuite administration; Google Collaboration Engineer certs are a plus. 4+ years in a global team or a site lead role — you understand how to work across multiple time zones, with customers in different countries.
- You’ve worked in a series-funded technology startup before. You understand this is controlled chaos, with many competing priorities and constraints.
- You understand networking fundamentals and basic troubleshooting — you can demonstrate a command of troubleshooting steps through the OSI model and understand why DNS matters.
- Strong communication skills, especially in writing and chat -- you can demonstrate a friendly and engaging style of writing.
- You know how to self manage, and can accurately scope your project timelines, priorities, and goals—and align them to our mission.
- You’re comfortable dealing with ambiguity, and sometimes making a decision without all the data.
- You’re comfortable knowing a little bit about a lot of things, and quickly becoming an expert at something should the situation call for it.
- Australian Hyper-Growth Startup - Head Office in Sydney
- Why IVP Invested in Deputy
- Deloitte's #21 Fastest Growing Technology Startups in Aus 2018
- Raised $111M Series B Round led by IVP, OpenView (our Series A investor), Square Peg Capital and EVP.
- Global Growth across APAC, America and EMEA.
- Share Options
- Paternity/Maternity Leave Policies
- Personal Learning & Development Fund
- Flexible Work Policy
- Company wide Development & Coaching
- Awards - "Your Time to Shine & Celebrate Success"
- Social Events & variety of social clubs (Books, LGBT, Games, Sports)
- Mental Health Support
- Munch & Learns
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world works. Since 2008 over 200 million shifts have been rostered on Deputy, in over 90 countries, and across 245 different industries.
We’re making it easier for businesses and teams to roster staff, manage leave, complete payroll and take the admin out of work so that our customers can focus on doing what they love. We hire amazing people to do what they’re best at, and work with some incredible businesses all around the world.
Check out this video: Deputy Explained
Check out why our customers love us: GetApp and G2Crowd.
Deputy believes in equal opportunity and that inclusiveness and diversity promotes innovation. Our global team members are from a variety of cultures. And we welcome different perspective and skills.
Interested? Apply now