Redbubble was born in 2006 in Melbourne, Australia. The dream was simple. Give artists a meaningful new way to sell their creations. Today, we connect over 800k artists and designers with millions of fans across the planet.
As for us? We’re passionate, imaginative, and a little offbeat. An inspired mix that’s helped artists earn over $100M since launch. We’re also nice, well-balanced folks with lives outside of work!
Through our marketplace, artists are able to earn from their work, enabling them to create more fabulous artwork. With over 20 million unique designs for consumers to purchase on a range of 100+ print-on-demand products from stickers to t-shirts to throw pillows. It’s a treasure trove for the curious and creative.
The Team & Role:
This Director - Data and Insights will partner with the Executive team, other senior leaders, data science team and Engineering to transform and scale our data and insights capabilities and practices across the RB marketplace.
This role will directly lead our Data Science function and have a large impact on our Data Engineering function (to be formed over time), who span significant segments of the Redbubble marketplace (eg: Customer, Artist, Foundations) and will thrive from being deeply involved in supporting the execution of tangible business outcomes driven or enabled by data.
Managing a small team of 3 Data Scientists, the Director - Data and Insights directly drives real impact through the development of a data vision, strategy and roadmap that aligns to the company strategy and product roadmap / priorities, as well being able to build the subsequent capabilities needed to execute on this strategy / roadmap bringing the RB data community together.
This role reports to the Chief Technology Officer. Our SVP of Engineering, three Engineering Directors and Head of IT also report to the Chief Technology Officer and will be close peers of this role. This role will be based in Melbourne, Australia. Once international travel resumes there may be a requirement to travel to other Redbubble locations (currently San Francisco, New York and Berlin) two to three times per year.
What you'll do:
- Partner with functional leadership to prioritise data initiatives that will drive profitable, sustainable growth and manage risk
- Own and drive development of data strategy, vision and roadmap for Redbubble, including data tagging / engineering, personalisation, privacy considerations, transformation / interpretation, visualisation and subsequent insights, ensuring clear alignment to business strategy
- Leading the management and growth of our Data Science capability
- Become a trusted advisor of the Redbubble executive team, represent the company externally and be a magnet for talent
- Reviewing our current approach around data implementation, storage, usage, transformation and interpretation / visualisation throughout the redbubble.com
- Create and nurture a data community of practice that drives a data first mindset, data quality and insights improvements, knowledge sharing opportunities, promotes learning and career progression and increases our ability to deliver business outcomes
What you'll bring:
- A proven track record of data leadership capacity for a successful ecommerce product company
- (Re)building and embedding data related disciplines, rituals and teams, including data science and data engineering capabilities
- Able to work in a agile but thoughtful way where solutions are recommended that are best fit for Redbubble (now and future) rather than "best practice" regardless of organisational characteristics
- Outstanding leadership and people management skills. Can successfully motivate, challenge, grow and retain a team of talented and creative people at all levels with different specialisations
- Enjoy balancing the short-term tactical requirements and long-term strategic bets.
- Excellent communicator and facilitating skills, and ability to tailor communication style to different stakeholders including non-technical audiences
- Meaningful work that allows you to contribute to a mission you believe in
- A safe and supportive place to continue to grow and hone your craft
- A diverse and inclusive work environment where you can connect with colleagues from around the world
- Generous flexible work arrangements, and parental leave programs
- An opportunity to give back through community volunteer events and corporate partnerships like Code Like a Girl
We value open-minded, open-hearted teams, who reflect a diversity of experience, identity and perspective. Our differences make us smarter, and inclusive working cultures are healthy cultures. We are working hard to sustain a culture of belonging that promotes, advances and celebrates diverse identities and voices. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the artist and customer communities that we serve.
Bringing more creativity into the world takes all the crayons in the box, and we’re excited to hear from you.