$140-$180,000 plus super
At Octopus Deploy, we’re passionate about solving the problems our customers face so they can focus on what they do best. Our people are our assets and we currently boast a team of 100+ talented individuals (and growing) who help over 150,000 people worldwide to deliver working software to production
We are looking for Lead Software Engineers to join the Octopus Cloud team! Do you enjoy changing an airplane engine while in flight? Well, Octopus Cloud never goes down for maintenance. Our goal is to make Octopus Cloud the best way to host Octopus Deploy by making it highly-available, fault-tolerant, fast, reliable and scalable.
You will be a great fit for this role if:
- You understand scalability, event-driven architecture, eventual consistency and have built distributed systems before.
- You are an experienced individual contributor or leader in your current job.
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade using any language or toolset but preferably C# and to a lesser degree TypeScript.
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like dependency, extensibility, and compatibility; and perhaps you are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself and leading others to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
- You have a good understanding of Microsoft Azure, specifically Azure Files, Azure SQL and Azure Kubernetes Service, or good understanding of any other Cloud platform.
- Optional: You have a good understanding of Kubernetes and containers.
A typical day might include:
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Handling an inbound support ticket from a customer, helping them succeed with Octopus, or offering advice to a customer in our community Slack workspace.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
- Our customers entrust us with one of their most important systems which is why we provide 24/7 support for Octopus Cloud. At the moment we have 7 engineers in the 24/7 On-Call rotation. This means each of us, including Engineering Manager, is on-call once every 7 weeks (or ~7 times a year). Each shift is 1 week long.
- This sounds scary, doesn’t it? In reality it’s not.
- We average ~2 incidents a week outside of business hours and none of them are major
- You will get trained before you join the rotation
- You will always have ability to reach out to the rest of us if you need help
- You will support the system you build, not something you’ve never seen before
- We value our sleep so Production incidents are fixed in a way that prevents them from reoccurring
- You will be able to ask to swap shifts or parts of them with other team members
- This additional responsibility attracts extra compensation. You will get paid AUD $400 for each shift.
- You will get paid AUD $200 for each callout outside of your business hours, capped to a maximum of 5 callouts per shift
Interested? We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team. We are currently unable to provide visa sponsorship.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we have helped 25,000 companies to automate complex deployments, and we employ 100+ wonderful people.
We're a growing, profitable business. Our goal is to build a company that will last forever, while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.