Lights. Camera. Consumer Action. Cut through the spin and raise awareness of our expert reviews, unbiased analysis, campaigns and investigations.
- Energised by working on camera and in the media?
- Enjoy developing novel approaches to unexpected situations and fast deadlines?
- Keen to develop and showcase your expertise through coaching and training?
You will be joining an organisation with a long track record of making a difference. CHOICE has been Australia’s consumer advocate since 1959, giving clear-cut advice about products, services and your rights. We work everyday to help people navigate complex markets, step in to stop businesses treating people unfairly and fight for governments to create laws in the interests of people, not big corporations.
About the opportunity
Reporting to and working closely with the Senior Media Advisor, you will support CHOICE’s media strategy by empowering and supporting our experts to act as spokespeople, and placing CHOICE stories with a wide range of media outlets. Day-to-day, you’ll be:
- Coach and support colleagues to speak with confidence to external media.
- Liaise directly with the external media contacts to build and manage relationships and respond to requests.
- Organise props and spaces for media to use when filming TV segments.
- Act as a general spokesperson when required.
- Prepare media releases and scripts.
- Share content with relevant media outlets.
- Develop and co-present training sessions for existing and new spokespeople
CHOICE has a track record of hiring and supporting early career media professionals. While you’ll have a day-to-day manager focused on how best to support you, you’ll work alongside and learn from a diverse range of consumer advocacy professionals.
You care about making a difference and want a career in the not-for-profit sector as an agent for change.
You might be looking for the next step in your media career, or a chance to try something new that allows you to transfer your skills to follow your passion in this area. Our ideal candidate will have:
- A qualification in media, communications, journalism, performance or related field
- A general understanding of the media environment in Australia
- Some experience in broadcast media i.e. presenting for or being interviewed by television / radio / print outlets
- An interest in contemporary consumer issues, needs and trends, and the ability to get across complex issues quickly
- An aptitude for bringing out the best in others
Working at CHOICE
We value diversity in our teams and work hard to ensure our people feel they belong at CHOICE. We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace creates a positive working environment for all employees that helps us better represent Australian consumers.
We embrace flexible working aligned to individual needs, and support our teams to work collaboratively wherever they are located.
CHOICE uses a range of techniques to assess whether you’re the right person for the job, and we’re more than happy to meet your needs should you require adjustments regarding access or support. We encourage you to let us know during the application process so we can work with you on this, and your personal information will be kept confidential.
As part of your application, send us your CV and a cover letter saying why you’re interested in the role and working at CHOICE.
Fore more information contact James McCay (Talent Acquisition) on [email protected]