As a start-up in the SEEK Group, Jora is a job search platform, headquartered in Melbourne and operating on a global scale. Jora aggregates employment opportunities from thousands of different job sites to offer jobseekers the largest source of job opportunities in real time. Jora is focused on continually improving and expanding its product offering to fuel rapid growth.
At SEEK we really value our culture and the way we work together to get stuff done.
You will work amongst a group of hard-working, fun and caring people who will support you to have a successful and fulfilling career at SEEK.
Our dedication to fostering a work environment where people feel like they're making a difference every single day has helped us maintain a consistently high ranking in the annual Hewitt Best Employer Award. In other words, people like to come here – and we're proud of that!
The Principal Developer is a hands-on technology leadership role. As a technology leader, Principal Developers are accountable for the overall technical alignment, capability, engineering quality, leadership and productivity of a team. Principal Developers thrive at Jora by driving continuous improvement and great customer outcomes.
Primarily responsible for contributing to the Jora mobile apps to deliver customer outcomes for candidates and employers all over the world, the Principal Mobile developer will collaborate closely with the other Principal and technical leaders in Jora and product owners to help design and deliver
Within the role of Principal Mobile Developer you will be accountable for delivery, coding, process and leadership across the new business.
Accountable for delivery with particular focus on:
- Participating in agile feature kick offs and contributing to user stories, estimation and prioritization.
- Meeting timelines and delivery commitments made by the team, escalating issues early as they impede progress.
- Working collaboratively within the team to deliver features. Owning the features to ensure they meet all functional and non-functional acceptance criteria, collaborating with Product owners and proceeding smoothly to “Done”.
- Supporting and ensuring the successful running of the production environment (including the future growth).
- Delivering mobile app features including API development to support any new features.
- Becoming a domain expert for the business. Understand the technical dependencies, designs and challenges facing the Jora product.
- Collaborating closely with product owners and other technical leaders to develop the long term technical roadmap for Jora’s mobile applications
- Collaborating to ensure that we are delivering great outcomes for our customers
Contribute to the design of solutions, focusing on:
- Participating in design reviews with the whole team including proof of concept phases to ensure the designs align with the business’ target architectural direction and industry best practices.
- Own and deliver code as a team, ensuring:
- Code adheres to coding standards (as measured by our metrics) and guidelines
- Code has strong coverage with automated tests
- Code is efficient and conforms to industry best practices.
- The team actively refactors and enhances the quality of our codebase. Identifies more complex areas requiring refactoring and transparently publishes these items and other technical debt for inclusion on the backlog for prioritization
Display leadership qualities and a passion for working collaboratively:
- Assisting outside of your core specialist skills and leading areas such as deployments and testing.
- Contributing and playing an active role in the prioritisation, implementation and monitoring of features.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to other team members.
- Actively participates in code reviews and ensures the successful deployment of features.
- Growing the technical and leadership capabilities through coaching and mentoring
- Leading and ensuring a high standard and quality for the mobile app code bases (Android and iOS)
- Act as an enabler for the team, removing obstacles from their paths and identifying potentials for delivery, business, and process improvements
- Help facilitate the healthy tension between the desire for immediate delivery and the long-term viability of the code bases
- Delivered complex software solutions in complex environments with many stakeholder and dependencies
- Architected, built, and operated highly scalable, available, performant and secure solutions
- Built solutions in multiple stacks and language
- Grown engineers personal and technical skills through coaching or mentoring
- Builds trust, safety, and inclusion in teams
- Open minded collaborator with a growth mindset
- Identifies and harnesses opportunities and embraces opportunities to take calculated risks
- Focuses on delivering better customer outcomes over task completion
- Influences and motivates others
- Uses data to drive decision making
- Takes responsibility for systems across teams
- Self-aware and proactive on continuous improvement and continual learning
- Positive attitude and a clear sense of initiative
- Comfortable breaking problems down, analysing constituent parts, proposing, and delivering creative solutions
- Clear communicator who can manage stakeholder expectations, facilitate groups, and resolve conflicts
- Expert knowledge in at least one leading Mobile Apps technology (iOS, Android)
- Experience building web applications or APIs to support mobile app development
- Creates and maintains continuous delivery pipelines using current practices, patterns & tooling
- Creates software using secure coding practices and mitigates common vulnerabilities
- Uses current technical practices such as writing clean, testable code and pair programming
Desirable Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Experience working with and building Ruby on Rails applications
- Understanding of Highly Available systems and web scale architectures
- Experience in building large, scalable back-ends / web apps a big plus
- Experience in start-up organisations desirable
- Leading lean thinking & agile practices
Perks and benefits
At SEEK we offer:
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Support for parents with 14 weeks paid primary carers leave
- SEEKer Support, offering mental/physical wellbeing counselling
- Education Assistance Program
- Tailored career development planning
- Free income protection insurance
- Free travel insurance
Here at SEEK we pride ourselves on harbouring a flexible and inclusive working environment. Should you require any specific supports or adjustments throughout the recruitment process and beyond, please advise us and we will be happy to assist.
For this role, only those candidates with the eligible right to work will be considered