As a delivery solution architect within our Platform Services team you will perform a pivotal role for our managed service customers. You will embed within a small number of customers, live and breath their technology portfolios and help guide their evolution. This is a technical, hands-on architecture role so your skills need to be current. Delivery architecture will accommodate approximately 60-70% of your time. The remaining time will be assisting the pre-sales team in solution development. This split is a little bit flexible, depending upon the skills you bring to the role.
Success in this role looks like
Delivery architecture is a close-knit team. We work closely together, and we put our heads together to help our customers maximise their technology investments, minimise their technical debt and technically prepare them to embrace future opportunities.
- You’ll have a solid, broad technical background across the spectrum of IT.
- Traditional data centre - focussed infrastructure and applications.
- Platform and consumption-based IT and services, with a focus on Microsoft technologies (Azure, Microsoft 365).
- The transformation from the former to the latter.
- You’ll have a way with words, both verbally and in written form. We often need to convey quite complicated concepts in a way that does not distance our customers from our solution. A solid understanding of Microsoft Word, Visio and PowerPoint, including adherence to a style guide, will be advantageous.
- You’ll draw upon your real-world experience of what works and what doesn’t. You’re able to read the explicit requirements and infer the informal requirements as you craft a solution to meet, and hopefully exceed, the customer’s expectation.
The Platform Services architecture team is a small team of high-performance individuals. To fit in with us, you will need to be a passionate, motivated, and client focused individual with a strong focus on quality solution design, quality document preparation and a little bit of x factor.
- A positive attitude, someone who is naturally curious about ‘stuff’ and wants to be better tomorrow than they were today.
- You need to be technically capable in your field, with real world experience of the technology you’ll be positioning for our customers.
- An ability to think bigger picture than what is explicitly in front of you.
- You don’t expect you to be a subject matter expert on every topic, rather an ability to think on your feet when out of depth is desired.
- To be successful in this role you’ll ideally have at least 5 years’ experience in technical and solution architecture, or be able to convince us that your lesser tenure is not a barrier to success
Technical experience (must have)
Demonstrated ability to/of
- Build technical roadmaps that keep our customers’ environments business aligned, secure and minimise technical debt.
- Ensure that proposed solution architectures align to the customer’s organisational goals.
- Solid understanding of on-premises infrastructure (networks, routers, switches, firewalls, SANs, servers and operating systems form a part of the solution stack).
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Azure – focus on IaaS but PaaS also advantageous.
- Supporting technical platforms: Citrix, VMware, *Nix and Windows OS, Nutanix.
- Taking customer inputs and developing solution and technical architectures, including gap analysis and work packages to close the gap.
- Citrix, Hyper-V, VMWare, Linux, Microsoft cloud technologies.
- Project management knowledge and experience.
- Demonstrated experience gathering business requirements.
- Development and management of capacity plans.
- Understanding of working in an infrastructure-focussed DevOps style of delivery.
Successful architects often come from a variety of background, therefore technology degrees are not mandatory if other experience comes to the fore. Sometimes practical experience and determination trump any piece of paper.
- Bachelors degree in an IT, finance or business stream.
You will be helping our customers to understand the potential of transformational infrastructure projects and the benefits of a contemporary approach to managed services, such as Empired provides.
- ITIL V3 certified with a view on the strengths and weaknesses of ITSM in a platform-centric world.
- Vendor-based accreditations. Infrastructure, networking and cloud platform vendors. Such as Microsoft, Nutanix, VMware, AWS, HPE, Cisco, Fortinet and similar would be advantageous.
- An understanding of TOGAF 9.1 or Zachman principles as a minimum, certification a benefit but not mandatory.
- Your positive, quality contributions to the combined success of Empired.
- Genuine and authentic interactions with our customers, helping them to make the most of the technology platforms they’ve invested in and preparing them for what comes next.
- Building lasting relationships with our customers through the development of high quality and sustainable services.
- Thinking outside the box. Thinking that there is no spoon and constructively challenging what we do and how we do it to make us better
- Working with the rest of the Platform Services team, and the broader Empired, to develop and commercialise new products and services.
- Forging quality working relationships across the diverse technical practices across Empired to ensure we’re always able to present contemporary and relevant thinking to our customers.
- Providing guidance, advice and insight to our technical and solution architects that are embedded within our managed service and project delivery teams.
The development we can offer to progress your career:
- This is a mid to senior role and as such you are welcomed to constructively challenge the status quo and actively contribute to a positive evolution of what we do at Empired.
- Career progression can be however you wish to direct your career, however the natural arc would be towards either pre-sales architecture and solution development or consulting architecture within our Digital Advisory practice.
- At Empired we have a focus on development of intellectual property and the commercialisation of repeatable, well packaged services. You will be encouraged to draw upon your experience and knowledge of the Victorian IT market to contribute to this.
- We’re very receptive to continuous evolution of our services, so your creative contributions and challenge will be gladly received.
Empired helps organisations across Australasia to transform, thrive and stay relevant as digital businesses in an ever-changing world. Using technology as the enabler, we assist businesses to engage customers, increase efficiency, improve productivity and achieve competitive advantage.
Apply for this position